For 120 years we have been driven by one thing: an enthusiasm for building cars. Visitors have been able to admire the results of this passion since May 2006 in the spectacular Mercedes-Benz Museum. However, the foundation for an archive of automotive history was laid much earlier, to be more exact in 1899 when Gottlieb Daimler presented his first attempts at vehicle construction at the motor vehicle exhibition in Berlin.
In 1923 the first small factory museum was opened and 1936 marked the founding of the
Daimler-Benz corporate archive. Since this time we have continually expanded our collections. In the 1960s a new Daimler-Benz Museum was opened to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the company and it was later expanded to celebrate the 100th anniversary. In 2006 the historical site of automotive development was moved to a new address neighbouring the Daimler main production facility in Stuttgart with the opening of the current Mercedes-Benz museum.