The first car to be imported into South Africa, a Benz Velo makes its appearance.
Car Distributors Assembly (Pty) Ltd is founded in East London.
Daimler-Benz realizes the potential of market and opens an office in South Africa.
Car Distributors Assembly (CDA), contracted to assemble Mercedes-Benz product, produce the first locally built Mercedes-Benz vehicles.
CDA becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Car and Diesel Distributors (UCCD).
West-Bank site is acquired - Massive expansion to East London Plant.
Daimler-Benz AG acquires 50,1 % of the share capital in UCCD. The company is renamed and registered, Mercedes-Benz South Africa (Pty) Ltd.
UCDD Ltd. is renamed Mercedes-Benz (Pty) Ltd, East London.
Introduction of new E-Class (V-engines).
Ernst Göhner Foundation bought out: DBAG increases shareholding to 100%.
November 25 - R1300 million investment announcement. Inauguration of DaimlerChrysler Imbizo in East London.
C-Class Export to Australia commences.
April 19 Mercedes-Benz of South Africa (Pty) Limited becomes DaimlerChrysler South Africa (Pty) Limited (DCSA).
The new C-Class RHD Production starts.
A total of 335000 Mercedes-Benz Passenger cars were built at the East London plant since 1958 up to the end of 2000.